Pesto is one of my favorite sauces to keep on hand and this version is perfect for all autumn and winter. This seasonal twist on the beloved classic takes center stage, introducing the rich and earthy notes of sage and the hearty crunch of roasted pumpkin seeds.
Making this winter pesto is a breeze; a simple blend of aromatic sage, vibrant parsley, and the nutty depth of roasted pumpkin seeds. The key is a slow stream of high-quality extra virgin olive oil, transforming these humble ingredients into a luxurious sauce that captures the season’s essence.
Whether tossed with pasta, drizzled over roasted vegetables, or smeared on crusty bread, this winter pesto promises to be your culinary ally throughout the autumn and winter months. Embrace the season’s bounty and elevate your dishes with this fragrant and flavorful sauce.
Winter Pesto Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this winter pesto recipe:
- Sage: A fragrant herb that infuses the pesto with earthy warmth.
- Parsley: Its lively freshness elevates the overall flavor profile.
- Parmigiano Reggiano: For a traditional touch, or opt for nutritional yeast for a delightful vegan variation.
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Zest: Infusing the pesto with brightness and a refreshing kick.
- Garlic: An optional but highly recommended addition for an extra layer of flavor—roasted garlic is a welcomed indulgence.
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil: The secret to a velvety texture and richness that binds the sauce together.
- Salt and Pepper: Essential elements to make all the flavors pop, ensuring a perfectly balanced pesto.