Hummus with a tart and tangy preserved lemon twist is the perfect bed for a fried salty and briny eggplant topping.Print
Preserved Lemon & Toasted Sesame Hummus with Fried Eggplant
- 2 – 15oz cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon yogurt sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8–10 ice cubes
- 1/2 lb mini eggplant, halved
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup olives, halved
- 1 preserved lemon, skins diced
- 10–12 mint leaves
- 3–4 oregano sprigs
- 2 cloves garlic
- Combine the oil and sesame seeds until they blend into a paste in a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Once a paste is formed pause the blending and add the rest of the hummus ingredients except for the ice cubes. Blend until it’s almost smooth. Keep the blending going while you drop an ice cube one at a time every 10 seconds until the hummus becomes a smooth creamy texture.
- In a large sauté pan warm the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes before adding the lemon, garlic, herbs, and olives. Infuse the oil for about 6-8 minutes then remove everything from the pan leaving as much of the oil as possible.
- Add the sliced eggplant flesh side down into the pan with the oil and sear until golden brown for 5-6 minutes before flipping. Sear on the other side for 2-4 minutes more
- Plate the fried eggplant alongside the hummus topping with the fried olives, preserved lemon, and mint from earlier (pitching the garlic cloves and oregano sprigs).