Winter Vegetable Minestrone
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 1 medium turnip, diced
- 1/3 cup brussel sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons bouillon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Heat half the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the thick ham and cook over medium-low heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly crisped.
- Next add the onions, carrots, fennel, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips, thyme sprigs, 1 tablespoon salt, 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, and the rest of the olive oil to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and add the white wine allowing it to cook 2-3 more minutes before adding the tomatoes, shaved brussels sprouts, and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente. The soup should be quite thick but if it’s too thick, add more chicken stock if needed and the kale. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan