If you try this recipe out, tag me on Instagram @carolinelfranco so I can see your delicious re-creations and feature them! As always, I love it when you share your reviews in the comments below, and if you make any fun substitutions, let me know how it worked out below too.Print
Spiced Lentils & Grains
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- zest & juice of 1 small orange
- Parsley to top
- In a saucepan, coat the bottom with olive oil and place it on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
- Stir the spices into the pan with the oil and let them warm for about a minute to two.
- Then add in the rinsed lentils and barley, stir to coat them in the spiced oil.
- Toast the lentils and barely for 3-4 minutes still on medium-low heat, stirring every 30 seconds to make sure nothing burns or sticks to the bottom.
- Then add in the 2 cups of vegetable stock, simmering for about 20 minutes.
- Once the broth is absorbed taste the barley and lentils, if they are still very al dente, add in another 1/2 cup to a cup of broth until it is absorbed.
- Once all the broth is absorbed into the grains and lentils, add in the orange juice and zest.
- Sever with fresh parsley on top