Roasted Chestnut Pear & Chickpea Soup
- 1 large celery stalk, halved and cut into 3rds
- 1 large carrot, halved and cut into 3rds
- 1 shallot, cut into forths
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chestnuts or 1-1/2 cups roasted and peeled
- 1 – 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 bartlett pears, ripe, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 8–10 sprigs of thyme
- 6–7 sage leaves
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6–7 cup vegetable broth, simmering
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Score the tops of all the chestnuts with an x and place them on a baking tray to roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the skins begin to curl back and you can see a toasted yellow inside
- To another roasting tray add the celery, carrot, shallot, garlic, springs of thyme, sage leaves and pears and toss with the olive oil and salt until coated.
- Roast for about 10 minutes pulling them out halfway through, to toss,add the white scraping the bottom of the tray well, and the chickpeas
- Place the tray back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes until the vegetables, chickpeas, and pears turn golden brown.
- Once the roasted chestnuts have slightly cooled, squeeze and crack them to remove the shells
- Finally, add all the ingredients to the blender – the tray of roasted goodness, the chestnuts, maple, and simmering broth and blend until creamy and enjoy!