Transform the classic olive oil cake into a delightful autumn delight, topped with seasonal sweet apples and a medley of warm, comforting spices. This easy is perfectly moist and tender texture, making it the ideal treat for a cozy breakfast, snack, or dessert.
This honey caramel apple cake uses my perfect go-to olive oil cake recipe, which I enjoy making each season, tailoring it to the seasonal fruit. This recipe couldn’t be more easy or more delicious, making it the perfect cake for those crisp autumn days up to those chilly winter nights. The batter comes together effortlessly in a single bowl and bakes into a cake that’s moist, slightly chewy, dense, tender, and great for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack. It’s packed with fresh apples, honey, brown sugar, and an array of cozy spices.
I took the classic pairing of caramel and apples up a notch with a fun honey caramel drizzle to on top of the cake. The results were beyond perfect; it’s the perfect touch that adds just the right amount of sweetness to elevate this cake’s flavor without making it overly sweet.
Honey Caramel Apple Cake Ingredients:
- Apples: Use any variety you have on hand; this cake isn’t finicky about apple types. I prefer red apples and opt to keep the peels for added texture, but feel free to peel them if you prefer.
- Dark brown sugar: While light brown sugar will do, in my opinion, dark brown sugar imparts a cozier, molasses-like flavor to the cake.
- Honey: With so many honey varieties available, my favorites include orange blossom, manuka, wildflower, and the widely popular clover honey. Regardless of your choice, ensure it’s of the highest quality.
- Eggs: Essential for a light and fluffy texture.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: For moisture, richness, and a beautifully fruity undertone. If you’re running low on olive oil or aren’t fond of its taste, avocado oil makes an excellent neutral alternative.
- Ricotta: This adds delightful moisture and a tangy note to the cake. In the absence of ricotta, whole-milk Greek yogurt works splendidly. In my dairy-free version, I’ve used plain coconut yogurt.
- Vanilla and Pumpkin Pie Spice: These elements infuse a warm, spiced flavor, making it a perfect autumn treat. If you don’t have pumpkin spice any of your favorite spices work in place but make sure you at least add cinnamon.
- Salt: Elevates all the flavors.
- All-purpose flour: If you require a gluten-free option, a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour can seamlessly replace all-purpose flour.
- Almond flour: It introduces a nutty dimension and a delectable chewy texture to the cake.
- Baking powder and baking soda: These leavening agents ensure the cake rises to perfection.