This spiced plum olive oil cake is my ideal snack, breakfast, or even dessert. It’s incredibly easy to make, and it’s moist, tender, and full of warm cozy flavor from the layers of spices and cooked jammy plums on top. Delicious by itself or served with yogurt at breakfast or warmed up with ice cream for dessert!
The perfect cross between late summer and early fall: an easy, fruity olive oil cake recipe!
I’ve perfected what I think is the most amazing olive oil cake! Amazingly moist from the ricotta, dense but not too dense, texture and flavor for the almond flour, and just the perfect cake for any time of the year!
Having created this recipe in August, summer was still very much on my mind but the longing for fall is on almost everyone else’s mind. So I created a cake with the best of both works mixing juicy delicious stone fruit with warm fall spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom for a scrumptious match! If you’re like me, you’ll find yourself reaching for this cake at breakfast, for a snack, and as a dessert too!
Spiced Plum Olive Oil Cake Ingredients & Variations
Here’s what you’ll need to make this incredible olive oil cake recipe:
- Plums, of course! Another fruit that would work perfectly to top this cake with is berries, any other type of stone fruit thinly sliced, or apples, even citrus like orange or grapefruit!
- Ricotta – Whole milk ricotta is very important for the flavor and texture of this cake! For a dairy-free version, a thick-style yogurt such as coconut would also work great in place of the ricotta. is my favorite brand to use in this cake.
- All-purpose flour – my favorite variety is always spelt because I love to use single whole grain flour but whole wheat flour would work as well just would make the cake a bit drier and nuttier. You can always use a gluten-free all-purpose flour as well.
- Almond flour – It makes this yogurt cake extra-moist and tender.
- Baking powder and soda – They help the cake puff up as it bakes.
- Eggs – they help add structure to the cake so there’s really no replacing these.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It adds richness and gives the cake a fruity depth of flavor.
- Cane sugar – It makes the cake perfectly sweet but not too sweet. I always prefer cane to beet sugar which is the other popular type of sugar sold in grocery stores.
- Warm Spices – For warm depth of flavor. My favorites are cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom but you can also use nutmeg, allspice, and/or cloves.
- And sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!
Spiced Plum Olive Oil Cake Recipe Tips
- Use whole milk ricotta. Skip the low- or non-fat stuff for this recipe, please! The whole milk yogurt adds essential moisture and richness to the cake.
- Don’t overmix. We want this cake to be moist and tender, not dense. Overmixing the batter starts to develop the gluten in the flour, which results in denser, heavier baked goods. To achieve a perfect light texture, mix the batter until the wet and dry ingredients are just combined.
- Choose your cake temperature wisely. I love a slightly warm cake with fresh jammy plums on top but if you want to dust it with powdered sugar be warned it won’t stick. It’s best to wait until it’s 80-90% cool anyways before cutting into it.
- Storing. This olive oil cake keeps well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, about days in the fridge, and freezes well! I like to freeze individual slices so that I can thaw one for a quick breakfast or warm up with some whipped cream for dessert. Do the same, and your future self will thank you!