Lemon Coconut Almond Crumble Bars
CRUST + CRUMBLE
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup either melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup honey
- pinch of coarse salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- In a saucepan whisk together the lemon juice, egg and yolks, honey, and salt.
- Drop in the butter while whisking constantly over medium to medium-high heat.
- As the butter begins to melt, switch to a silicone spatula and continue stirring, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan as the mixture begins to thicken.
- When it comes to a gentle bubble, stir for a few seconds more, then remove from the heat.
- Push the curd through a strainer, pressing down with the back of your silicone spatula to get as much through as possible. You’ll just be left with a few small lumps of cooked egg.
- Chill until cold, as it will thicken much more.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan and line it with parchment.
- In a small bowl combine all of the crust ingredients except for the chopped almonds.
- Once you reach a packable sand mixture dump 1/2 to 2/3 of the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edge turns ever so highly golden.
- Add the chopped almonds to the leftover crust mixture.
- Pull out the pre-baked crust, add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the chilled lemon curd to the crust, and then the crumble on top.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown.
- Let the bars cool completely before chilling in the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting