Lentil Mushroom Lasagna
Mushroom Lentil Filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup wine
- 1 lb mushrooms, large dice
- 1 cup cooked green lentils
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 24 oz jar of tomato puree
- 1–2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 12 sheets of no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Regiano
- 1/4 cup sage pesto
- To make the filling place a large saute pan or pot, melt the butter over medium heat and once melted add the carrots, celery, and onion then stir until fully coated in butter. Cook the vegetables until soft, 7-10 minutes. Then add the salt, pepper, garlic, and wine and cook until most of the wine evaporates. Next add in the mushrooms, stir, and let sit for 4-5 minutes before stirring a gain to develop a crusty exterior. Stir every 3-4 minutes until all the mushrooms develop that crusty exterior then adds in the lentils and balsamic. Cook everything together for another 3-4 minutes then add in the pureed tomatoes and water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes
- For the bechamel sauce, blend together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- To make the lasagna, preheat the oven to 375 F and use a 9×13 baking pan to assemble.
- Spread about 1/4 of the lentil mushroom mixture on the bottom of the pan, then lay down 3 lasagna sheets plus a broken half to fill the tray, next pour 1/3 of the bechamel, 1/3 of the remaining lentil mixture, a large handful of 3/4 cup mozzarella, and then 1/4 cup parmesan. Repeat with the noodles, 1/3 of the bechamel, 1/3 of the lentil mushroom mix, 3/4 cup of mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the parmesan. Repeat one more layer with the addition of spreading the pesto on the very top and then cover with foil for the first 25-30 minutes to bake then bake uncovered for the last 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top!
- Let the lasagna sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting into and enjoy!